Admission: these were made a few weeks ago. Two weeks ago to be precise? They were made to celebrate the start of the NFL regular season (Sunday…Thursday didn’t count).
So here’s the deal: I like spicy food but I don’t like anything that is overwhelmingly spicy. Just like there is such thing as too much cheese, good CAN be too spicy. Thank goodness this had just the right amount of kick. Also, it had just the right amount of bacon. Bacon makes everything better.
I think these would be equally great for a lazy Sunday watching football or a dinner party. They were seriously SCRUMPTIOUS!
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
(Adapted from this recipe. )
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook times: 20 minutes
- 6 jalapenos
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- 12 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
- 1 tsp lime zest (optional)
- 12 toothpicks (do not eat!)
- In a small bowl, soak toothpicks in water for at least 2o minutes.
- Slice jalapenos lengthwise and remove all seeds
- In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, mozzarella, and salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Place approx. tbsp of cheese mixture into hollowed/seeded jalapenos.
- Wrap a piece of bacon over each cheese-filled jalapeno halves and secure with toothpick,
- Heat grill to high heat. In a grill basket, or “basket” made of foil (I took an extra long sheet of tin foil, folded it in half and placed the jalapenos) place jalapenos on grill and allow to cook until bacon is cooked and crisped (approx. 15 – 20 minutes)
- Remove jalapenos from grill and transfer to serving plate.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
Serve these with chips and salsa (or guac!) and you’ve got yourself a legit fiesta.
I know for a fact that these salty, spicy, cheesy suckers will be making many appearances this football season.