Today has been a fantastic day! I say this a lot, but October in San Diego is absolutely unbelievable. The sun is out, the sky is clear, and I’m a happy gal!
Today I am ever so grateful for:
- DIY manicures. Such an inexpensive, easy pick-me-up. It’s a little vain, I know, but I like to look down and see pretty nails staring right back at me. And you know what? We all deserve little indulgences from time to time.
Nailpolish: Chinchilly be Essie
- Live music! Tonight I am going to go see my boyfriend’s band (Castoff) in some dive-y, grimy bar on El Cajon Blvd. and I can’t wait! I love watching people do what they love. And it doesn’t hurt when they’re actually good at it either. Also, I’m sure I’ll get a beer out of it! Cheers! And break a leg Castoff!
- Scary movies. Last night my roommate loaded up the living room with snacks, champagne, the pups and put on some scary movies. It was such a blast! Even if I did end up falling asleep somewhere around movie #2…. We might not have the super-chilly weather, but we can certainly pretend.
Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend.
Posted by AndreaSomething on October 11, 2013
Day 12?!?! Wow, I have really been dropping the ball! The good thing, is that even though I haven’t been diligent about recording my gratitude journal online, I have been starting my day doing so (with a cup of coffee, of course) and it’s had such a powerful impact on my day and my life. If you haven’t started doing so, I would greatly encourage you to do it. Of course, it doesn’t need to recorded online, or even shared with anyone. Just take a few short minutes every morning (or evening, or whenever it is convenient for you) and set you mind into one of gratitude.
With that said, today I am grateful for:
- Being myself! Gone is the blonde SoCal wannabe hair and back is my dark, twisty self. Hehe. Kidding. But it’s a nice change to be back to brunette. Less upkeep as well! And that is always a good thing!
Embracing my Italiana roots. Blonde no more!
- Practicing yoga outside. I’ve been fortunate to find a studio that has an outside patio. It’s beautifully set up with bamboo floors and walls, banana trees, twinkle lights, and steps away from the pacific ocean. They also play live music, which is such a great experience when getting down with your yogi self. But lately, as I’ve been trying to cut costs (darn you yoga and your expensive classes!) I’ve been bringing my practice to my own outside patio. With the help of a few great iphone apps, I’ve been having a great time. I encourage all my fellow yogis to get away from the mirrors of a studio and practice outside. Trust your body. I think once we all take our focus away from the mirror we can really start to experiment and have some fun with our practice.
- Fall weather. I know that’s such a funny concept in San Diego. But the last few days have had a definite chill in the air. I felt not even a little silly breaking out the tights with my favorite LBD the other day.
Anyone know of any outside yoga classes in San Diego? I’m thinking a beach class would be AMAZING!
Posted by AndreaSomething on October 10, 2013
Alright, I have been horrible about posting daily, so this 30 Days of gratitude might stretch out for a bit. But maybe that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Practicing gratitude is something I aim to do daily; not just for the month of September.
So today, I am grateful for:
- My boyfriend! He has the best sense of humor, is incredibly sweet, and is an excellent partner to compete against while watching Jeopardy. He’s cute too 🙂 But honestly, he has proven to be an excellent partner in every way. I respect his intelligence, the pride he takes in his work, and his unwavering support. He’s one in a million.
- Fall! Fall or Autumn – whatever you wish to call it, it’s my FAVORITE season of the year. Here in San Diego, I wouldn’t say we get the changing of leaves other cities get, but there is definitely a change in the air. Even if it’s in my head. I am looking forward to the day I can comfortably break out my boots!
- Hurdlers pose. My roommate and I have been diligently working on this particular pose for the last several months. And I think this speaks to our relationship perfectly, but we both favor opposite sides. I’m better on my left (I am a lefty, afterall) and she absolutely nails it on the right. So I’ve been working on my right side, and I’m starting to feel some real progress. My next goal is to transition from Hurdlers into side crow. Eeeek! Regardless, these balancing poses are turning into such great confidence boosters. They aren’t bad for my arms either!
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 24, 2013
Hello! Hope you all are having a wonderful week so far. Personally, I feel like this week is flying by, and I’m making a concerted effort to enjoy these last days of summer while we have them. (Thank goodness I live in San Diego where he sun is always shining!).
Today I am grateful for:
- The return of fall TV! I know I just said I’m treasuring these last days of summer, but I am all to happy to see my DVR filling back up with The New Girl, The Mindy Project and the League. (Bottle of red wine optional….but highly encouraged).
- 8 years in San Diego. Today I realized that I have now lived in San Diego for 8 years! 8 years ago I packed my Civic with all the clothes and dishes I could squeeze in and drove from Arizona to go to Law School here. I didn’t know anyone, and had no furniture. Thank goodness for Ikea and school to keep me busy (and allow me to make new, amazing friends!). Now, all these years later, I can’t imagine living anywhere else.
- Pepperoncini. Yep. Today I am grateful for pepperoncini. I’m currently snacking on a plate filled with almonds, cheese, olives and pepperoncini. I’ve got to tell you, those bright green, spicy little peppers are clutch! I go through a few jars a month. No joke.
Phew! Halfway through the week, hope the next few days continue to fly by as quickly.
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 18, 2013
Well, here we are, already at Tuesday! I guess I enjoyed the weekend so much I kept rolling with it until today…
Today I am grateful for:
- Giving myself a break. I find that so often I am my own worst enemy. It’s okay to let yourself go every once and a while and just enjoy things. As you can see, I’ve taken a few days off in my own journal. But that’s okay. I had a wonderful weekend. A really wonderful weekend, and the time away from my phone and computer was time well spent.
- My patio. It’s basically our second living room. It’s quite large, tiled, fenced in and beautiful. I love the herbs and flowers that are growing back there, the full-size dining table (which accommodates ladies night perfectly), and the twinkle lights hanging above and directly on the fence. It’s such a peaceful, happy space.
Patio at night.
- Sunday Fundays! My Sunday was spent with my boyfriend, his brother and a handful of his friends on a yacht. I don’t think I need to elaborate, but I will. The boys loaded up their surfboards and we made our way out into the open seas, and then back around to Point Loma behind the break so the boys could jump right in and catch some waves. It was AMAZING. Again, I am SO SO appreciative of the proximity of the ocean to my everyday activities.
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 17, 2013
Coming in under the wire today!
Today I am grateful for:
• My roommate. She is not only my favorite partner in crime, but a thoughtful, kind, and generous person. I’m so lucky to live with a truly great friend. Bonus point: she helped me make my first cake from scratch this year. It was a lemon cake with strawberry buttercream frosting and it was utterly delightful! Tart and sweet, just how I like it!
• Living a peaceful, safe life. I remember very vividly the events of 9/11/01. I don’t think any of us will soon forget. As the proud sister of a Marine I thank God daily for the freedom we are all allowed in the United States because of their, and all of our armed forces, endless bravery.
• Redbox. Tonight the boyfriend and I rented ‘Mud’ starring Matthew McConaughey. My boyfriend describes it as a sort of modern day ‘Huckleberry Finn’ and I don’t think he’s too far off. I really enjoyed it. It’s definitely a far cry from McConaughey’s usual RomComs. And for just over a dollar, the rental is well worth it.
Phew! Halfway through the week. Hope you all are making it through with minimal discomfort – the weekend is drawing ever closer!
(P.S. I wrote this from my phone so I apologize for the poor formatting/grammar!)
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 11, 2013
I could NOT fall asleep for the life of my last night. So today I’ve been dragging, MAJORLY. I even broke my no-coffee-after-3pm rule and had an extra cup. Here’s hoping I fall asleep easily tonight. I have a feeling, it’s not going to be a problem.
Today I am grateful for:
- Fresh flowers. I LOVE buying those cheap bunches at Trader Joes and Vons. 5 bucks and you have beautiful, fresh flowers that brighten up my living room. And everytime I walk by I smile.
- Breaking Bad. I know. What?!?! But for the last few years my boyfriend have had a date night centered around catching up on the latest episode and it’s always one of the best nights of the week. No surprise, it’s usually complimented with a delicious dinner made from scratch. And occasionally, a glass of wine or two. Who knew a show about meth cold be so romantic?
- September in San Diego. The tourists have gone and the beaches are ours again! I always seem to forget that September typically ends up being one of the hottest, sunniest months. And as a former desert-dweller, I’m always happy to have another chance to soak up some rays. Even if it’s just during lunch.
The gorgeous flowers my sister and brother sent me this year for my birthday
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 10, 2013
Sundays are always a little bittersweet. The fun of the weekend is not over, but it’s certainly coming to a close.
We enjoy leisurely Sunday morning around here.
Today I am grateful for:
- The beach. I am so incredibly lucky to be living just steps away from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I often take it for granted; living so close to the ocean. But sometimes, when I’m driving down the street and catch a glimpse of the blue water, or when I take my dog for a walk, I realize just how good life is. People come from all over to visit San Diego, and I get to live here!
- Yoga breaths. There is something about that rhythmic, oceanic, sound that completely relaxes me. Well, I suppose that something is really about the oxygen I’m receiving, the focus, and the awareness of my body. Even at night, when I am having trouble sleeping, these deep-belly breaths put me in a state of calm so that I can finally drift off to sleep. And during practice, focusing on my breaths allows me to get through difficult poses. Deep breaths people!
- My sister. A few weeks ago, after a really stressful week, I opened my front door to find a box full of treats! We’re talking candy, new iphone cover, the lipgloss I mentioned yesterday, pretty pens, notecards, shorts, books, etc. It was one of the most thoughtful things someone has done for me in a long time and it literally brought tears to my eyes. I wish we all did things like that to each other more often. It meant so, so much to me. She’s a sweetheart.
Hope everyone had a great weekend. Here’s to a wonderful upcoming week!
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 8, 2013
BUT…if the Mayans were correct, I’m grateful that these are how I’m spending my last days.
Whatever you are doing this Season, I wish you peace.
And remember, you only live once. So don’t skimp on the eggnog!
Posted by AndreaSomething on December 19, 2012
And all I want to do is shop for for portable air conditioners on Amazon.
Honestly, San Diego has near-perfect weather 98% of the time. It’s that 2% that can be unbearable. Especially since a lot of homes (aka MINE) do not have air conditioning.
Luckily, this has not stopped me from ordering a venti pumpkin spice latte (two pumps only, please!). Turns out, I think they’re too sweet! I think I’ll stick to my caffe mistos. The takeaway point is that it may be hot as hell here, but I’m going to drink my hot caffeinated beverage anyway. Rebel!
In other news, I’m sporting a new accessory.
That would be a splint for my FRACTURED WRIST. My clumsiness knows no limit. Does anyone else relate to this?
I realize that there is a lot of complaining going on here. But my state of mind couldn’t be further from the truth. In less than two weeks my little sister is getting married. In Charleston, South Carolina. I am so excited about both of these things – my sister’s impending nuptials and my impending trip to Charleston.
I also recently gave my dog, Valentino, a bath.
He looks miserable. But at it was momentary. I promise. And he DOESN’T SMELL LIKE BUTT. We all win here. I promise. (Please don’t judge me on the state of my bathroom, I was putting off a deep clean until post-bath!)
Things are definitely good around here.
Important question: has anyone tried the salted caramel drink at Starbucks? I’m intrigued!
Posted by AndreaSomething on October 3, 2012