Hello! Hope you all are having a wonderful week so far. Personally, I feel like this week is flying by, and I’m making a concerted effort to enjoy these last days of summer while we have them. (Thank goodness I live in San Diego where he sun is always shining!).
Today I am grateful for:
- The return of fall TV! I know I just said I’m treasuring these last days of summer, but I am all to happy to see my DVR filling back up with The New Girl, The Mindy Project and the League. (Bottle of red wine optional….but highly encouraged).
- 8 years in San Diego. Today I realized that I have now lived in San Diego for 8 years! 8 years ago I packed my Civic with all the clothes and dishes I could squeeze in and drove from Arizona to go to Law School here. I didn’t know anyone, and had no furniture. Thank goodness for Ikea and school to keep me busy (and allow me to make new, amazing friends!). Now, all these years later, I can’t imagine living anywhere else.
- Pepperoncini. Yep. Today I am grateful for pepperoncini. I’m currently snacking on a plate filled with almonds, cheese, olives and pepperoncini. I’ve got to tell you, those bright green, spicy little peppers are clutch! I go through a few jars a month. No joke.
Phew! Halfway through the week, hope the next few days continue to fly by as quickly.
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 18, 2013
I could NOT fall asleep for the life of my last night. So today I’ve been dragging, MAJORLY. I even broke my no-coffee-after-3pm rule and had an extra cup. Here’s hoping I fall asleep easily tonight. I have a feeling, it’s not going to be a problem.
Today I am grateful for:
- Fresh flowers. I LOVE buying those cheap bunches at Trader Joes and Vons. 5 bucks and you have beautiful, fresh flowers that brighten up my living room. And everytime I walk by I smile.
- Breaking Bad. I know. What?!?! But for the last few years my boyfriend have had a date night centered around catching up on the latest episode and it’s always one of the best nights of the week. No surprise, it’s usually complimented with a delicious dinner made from scratch. And occasionally, a glass of wine or two. Who knew a show about meth cold be so romantic?
- September in San Diego. The tourists have gone and the beaches are ours again! I always seem to forget that September typically ends up being one of the hottest, sunniest months. And as a former desert-dweller, I’m always happy to have another chance to soak up some rays. Even if it’s just during lunch.
The gorgeous flowers my sister and brother sent me this year for my birthday
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 10, 2013
Sundays are always a little bittersweet. The fun of the weekend is not over, but it’s certainly coming to a close.
We enjoy leisurely Sunday morning around here.
Today I am grateful for:
- The beach. I am so incredibly lucky to be living just steps away from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I often take it for granted; living so close to the ocean. But sometimes, when I’m driving down the street and catch a glimpse of the blue water, or when I take my dog for a walk, I realize just how good life is. People come from all over to visit San Diego, and I get to live here!
- Yoga breaths. There is something about that rhythmic, oceanic, sound that completely relaxes me. Well, I suppose that something is really about the oxygen I’m receiving, the focus, and the awareness of my body. Even at night, when I am having trouble sleeping, these deep-belly breaths put me in a state of calm so that I can finally drift off to sleep. And during practice, focusing on my breaths allows me to get through difficult poses. Deep breaths people!
- My sister. A few weeks ago, after a really stressful week, I opened my front door to find a box full of treats! We’re talking candy, new iphone cover, the lipgloss I mentioned yesterday, pretty pens, notecards, shorts, books, etc. It was one of the most thoughtful things someone has done for me in a long time and it literally brought tears to my eyes. I wish we all did things like that to each other more often. It meant so, so much to me. She’s a sweetheart.
Hope everyone had a great weekend. Here’s to a wonderful upcoming week!
Posted by AndreaSomething on September 8, 2013
There really weren’t that many, but ain’t weekends grand?
I didn’t do anything ground-breaking, but I had a fantastic time. So what did I do?
I did some gardening.
I did some painting:
(Please ignore the GINORMOUS pile of laundry…)
I did some dancing with two of my favorite people:
I did some eating:
I just love these kinds of weekends.
Oh yah, I also saw the Avengers. Finally. The verdict? I LOVED IT!!!!
Posted by AndreaSomething on May 23, 2012
To everyone who wished me a swell time this weekend, please know the wishes were not in vain. I had an amazing time honing my inner-sailor. I really should play hooky more often!
On Friday my dad and my brother drove in from Arizona for the weekend so my dad could get some practice on the boat. Being the lovely and devoted daughter that I am, I was more than happy to join the crew. Adam didn’t put up much of a fight either. And thus, two days were spent sailing around the San Diego Bay. You could do worse.
San Diego Marina
one of the old America's Cup ships cruising on by
downtown skyline as the marine layer rolled in
a feathered friend on the dock
I can’t wait to go again in a few weeks. I think I’ve found my calling!
Posted by AndreaSomething on April 24, 2012
I know I’m a lucky gal. Extremely lucky, for that matter. Just about every single morning I wake up to the sound of seagulls. All I have to do is open a window and I can feel the ocean breeze waft in. And the ocean? I can see it from the front of my house. The beach is mere steps away.
Hate me yet?
It’s okay. But please take solace in the fact that I NEVER take for granted the beautiful surroundings I call home.
I think I take this same picture every single week. But I can’t help it, because every time my dog and I go for a walk (daily) I am blown away by the view.
If you live in San Diego, you probably know where this is (the Shack is a big giveaway). It’s not only my neighborhood, but it’s also the best beach in the area (totally biased). It’s a surfing paradise, yes, but the rocky terrain creates a unique beach experience. There’s a reason why it’s such a popular spot for engagement/family/wedding/you-name-it photo shoots.
Another reason why I love it? The sense of community. This is surprising in such a large city. But my neighbors really are the best. I already posted about our “neighborhood garden” (I have since met the green thumbs and they are wonderful!). And this week I finally snapped a picture of one of my favorite weekend treats:
Another kind neighbor! A cooler full of these tasty and refreshing drinks can be found on the sidewalk. I’ve happened upon these during the week AND the weekend. And I’m not going to lie, as I make my way back to the house after an hour or so in the sun, it’s the perfect cap to my little trek. Kind neighbors indeed! (Also, smart marketing?)
And now, off to enjoy another walk before work. Hope you all are enjoying the week as much as I am!
Posted by AndreaSomething on April 4, 2012
Happy Monday-after-a-Holiday weekend! Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving and gobbled up plenty of turkey and stuffing.
I think San Diego didn’t get the memo that we’re nearing the end of November and that December is rapidly approaching. Instead, we’re enjoying 85 degree days at the beach. No big deal.
Also not a big deal? These little suckers.
Just a quick little french pastry I whipped up and have been munching on for breakfast the past few days.
I am a horrible baker, and after trying unsuccesfully to bake cookies for the umpteenth time last week, I have completely abandoned any hope of every being one. But these I can handle. I used this recipe for petits pain au chocolat and I highly recommend it. It’s fool-proof AND you’ll feel all sort of sophisticated and frenchy while enjoying.
And now? I’m off to the beach.
Posted by AndreaSomething on November 28, 2011
San Diego is a tease. We had a few blissful days of sun, and now it’s a rainy mess. And if you are familiar with SoCal you know that when we get a drop of rain, we forget we ever knew how to drive and go into hibernation mode.
Staying at home in my pajamas and watching movies with Valentino was not an option today, so I got the next best thing: a cafe au lait and a blueberry scone from my favorite coffee shop in La Jolla – the Brick and Bell.
Their scones are out of this world. I usually grab a mini-scone but as I said, it was raining, and thus it was not a morning for skimping 😉
Am I being a spoiled brat complaining about the weather? Anyone?
Posted by AndreaSomething on May 17, 2011